The Department of Business Oversight (DBO) protects consumers and oversees financial service providers and products. The DBO supervises the operations of state-licensed financial institutions, including banks, credit unions and money transmitters. Additionally, the DBO licenses and regulates a variety of financial service providers, including securities brokers and dealers, investment advisers, payday lenders and other consumer finance lenders. For a complete list of the types of financial services providers and industries regulated by the DBO, go to http://www.dbo.ca.gov/Licensees/default.asp.
- File a Complaint
- Quejas de el Consumidor
- Search for Banks, Credit Unions, Money Transmitters and Other Financial Institutions
- Search for Broker-Dealers, Investment Advisers, Mortgage Lenders, Mortgage Loan Servicers, Payday Lenders, Non-Bank Finance Lenders, Escrow Agents and Companies, Check Sellers and Other Financial Service Providers
- Search for DBO Enforcement Actions
- Protecting Seniors
- California Money Transmitters may submit license transition requests through the Nationwide Multistate Licensing System and Registry (NMLS) beginning January 15, 2016. Transitioning your license to NMLS | Transition Checklist.
- On January 22, 2016, NMLS will host “CA-DBO Money Transmitter License Transition to NMLS” webinar. DBO encourages all California money transmitter licensees to attend. Register for the webinar.
- 10/19/2015 – The portal for filing applications online to obtain California Finance Lender (CFL), Deferred Deposit Transaction (CDDTL) and Escrow licenses is now available. Applicants may file applications and pay licensing and other fees using the portal found at https://docqnet.dbo.ca.gov. Questions should be directed to CFL.firstname.lastname@example.org, CDDTL.email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- TILA-RESPA Integrated Disclosure - 'Know Before You Owe' Mortgage Disclosure Rules
- Division of Financial Institutions
- Division of Corporations
Self-Help Portal – The DBO’s DOCQNET Self-Help Portal allows licensees to submit online applications, exemption notices, annual report information and more. For details, visit DBO’s self-help portal.
- Consumer Finance Lenders
- Payday Lenders
- Financial Institutions
- Bank Officer and Director Compensation